> > This is windows-only right now (presumably because
> Apple won't give Adobe access to the necessary APIs).
>
> Er, what? Where did that presumption come from?
>
> Nothing else on the Mac or Linux has a problem with video
> compositing.
> VLC, which does it entirely in software too, has _no_
> issues. Quartz,
> QuickTime, and OpenGL, which can be hardware-accelerated,
> are
> thoroughly documented.

GPU vendor agnostic H.264 bitstream decoding on Macs is only possible with
Quicktime - there is no public API for H.264 bitstreaming as far as I know.
Such a thing is not possible with Linux. (There are only separate vendor APIs
on Linux such as VDPAU)

Compositing is done on the GPU in VLC (as part of whatever renderer VLC uses -
VMR9 on windows if I recall correctly) whereas in Flash it's a slow software
based YV12->RGB conversion in order for overlaying text/graphics amongst other
things. Also various issues with running inside a browser window slow it down.