On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 13:00 +0100, Ian Stirling wrote:
> get_iplayer - and friends were very useful in the past.

It's still useful. The DRM only really hurts the casual and relatively
clue-free user; if you're clueful enough it's simple enough to update to
the current version of rtmpdump and have get_iplayer feed it the
appropriate -swfVfy option.

And since fairly much everyone who was systematically violating the
copyright _is_ capable of that, the only people who are inconvenienced
are the genuine, honest users. As usual.

I can kind of sympathise with the 'Something Must Be Done; this is
Something so We Must Do It' brigade. It must be hard being in a position
where you have to make technical choices, but you're too clueless to
make sane ones and you don't have the integrity to either resign or
delegate the more technical decisions to someone who's actually capable
of doing the job.

But I do wish they'd stick to _other_ pointless and ineffective
solutions like sacrificing a goat or installing a 'panic button'...
anything which _wouldn't_ also hurt the genuine users.

--
dwmw2