> the one that brings tears to my eyes is animation without a timeline.
> it must be de facto that one starts with onion-skinning, a
> score and timeline, but....

I'm not sure that a timeline-less format would be best. I can get my head
round a timeline based animation format quite easily (and indeed when I was
younger I did a fair bit of Flash stuff, although I lost interest as
ActionScript became more and more technical). Timelines were very useful for
ensuring audiovisual synchronisation, although Flash now has vastly superior
native multimedia support.

> the essence of the issue with flash is repurposing,  not price.
> that's tools and content.

True, but Adobe, née Macromedia, spent a lot of time and money gradually
fleshing out the format to the point where... Well, when was the last time
you saw a Director presentation? Flash just does pretty much everything
that's needed of developers and designers, albeit with the proprietary
caveat. However, it is truly ubiquitous and requires no additional steps to
functionality (save maybe a prompted click or two to install the plugin in
user-installed browsers). If I was to suggest an IE8 user get SVG going, and
they had no experience of installing browser plugins outside of the cocoon
of 'mainstream' plugins, where to start?

Repurposing is a lesser concern, not that I see an argument against
repurposing, I just don't see an argument *for* repurposing, at least
outside of the CC arena. All of the BBC's creations are copyright, and SVG
is inherently an unprotected format which is editable by anyone. (please
correct if inaccurate, this is my perception) Therefore, the diffusion of
copyrighted material and availability in SVG are mutually exclusive
objectives.