Thank you for helping me.

You are correct I killed it very quickly. Because in the previous version,
the dump command would show the actual shares I wanted on the command line
{ and not / } and I would not get any messages like
*Remote[2]: file has vanished: "/proc/2/exe"
*
which indicates it is *really* looking at / and not *only* at the mounts I
want.

You said:

*During this time, the target "lamp" is looking at every file on the disk,
once finished, it will send the list across.*

Really it looks at the whole disk when I don't want to backup the whole
disk?
Is it going to send the whole list across?
Has this changed in this version then?  Because I can run dump on my old
version and it does not do that.
*
*
FWIW boxes on same lan, no firewall, lamp just has one disk with everything
in /

Thanks again.