Found it.  And it has NOTHING to do with my config - and EVERYTHING to do
with where the config is.

OLD VERSION:: in the per-PC configuration file,
//var/lib/BackupPC//pc/$host/config.pl.
NEW VERSION::  __CONFDIR__/pc/HOST.pl per-pc config file

I was putting the client config in  pc/lamp.config.pl
but in the new version it is pc/lamp.pl

I found this out by essentially trying to force my config to be used by
hard coding my shares into  the $Conf{RsyncClientCmd} and having the dump
command not change. I messed around some more and found out it was ignoring
my client level config entirely. I could only make it do my bidding by
changing the master config ... eventually I found the problem.

Thanks for talking to me!