> [root@barak ~]# smbclient //hayun-34/gis -U micha -E -d 3 -c tarmode full

I believe you need to pass a single argument to -c, so either quote it, or
add a backslash:

[root@barak ~]# smbclient //hayun-34/gis -U micha -E -d 3 -c 'tarmode full'

What is $Conf{SmbClientFullCmd} set to on this client, and on a client that
works?  It should be something like:

$Conf{SmbClientFullCmd} = '$smbClientPath \\\\$host\\$shareName $I_option
-U $userName -E -d 1 -c tarmode\\ full -Tc$X_option - $fileList';

Craig