On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 1:39 PM <backu...@kosowsky.org> wrote:

> I am considering either:
> 1. (old) Pi 3 - Quad core  ARM Cortex-A53, 1.2GHz.
>                 1GB memory (with 256MB used for video)
>                 USB 2.0
>
> 2. (new) Pi 4 - Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz
>                 8GB memory
>                 USB 3.0

One point you would want to take into account: the Pi3 LAN connectivity is
through the USB2 interface, and the bandwidth is shared with it. Between
the independent Gigabit LAN on the Pi4 and the USB3 drive connection, the
latter should be much faster for data transfer and file checksum. That's
the main reason I moved from a Pi2 to a Banana Pi Pro (gigabit, SATA drive).

How does 4.x compare with 3.x in terms of CPU and memory usage?

In terms of CPU the 4.x should be lighter, as the full backups do not
checksum the files in the server anymore (in the default configuration).

Best regards,
Guillermo