Hi there,

On Mon, 4 Jan 2021, backuppc-users-requ...@lists.sourceforge.net wrote:

Has anybody had good success running BackupPC 4.x on a Raspberry PI?

Yes, I have.  Very good, with one reservation.

I am considering either:
1. (old) Pi 3 - Quad core  ARM Cortex-A53, 1.2GHz.
2. (new) Pi 4 - Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz

I've tried using a 4B and gave up with it - unreliable.  That was the
one reservation.  I think I've posted about my experience on the list,
check the archives.  The 3B+ is fine.  Installed from source, fiddled
about a bit, and it's been running for well over a year as the main
backup for about a dozen hosts.  I don't worry about the performance,
it runs when I'm asleep so I haven't spent any time on measurements.
I do run Nagios/Icinga and it doesn't show any memory or CPU problems.
Nagios/Icinga runs on a 4B as it happens, it's a bit heavy for the 3B+
and it doesn't really matter if it crashes now and again.  And it does.

Typically there's no more than 1 core used for 10 minutes and there's
at least 250 MBytes free RAM at the time the backups run.  Total about
1.5 million files backed up in 16,500 directories, about 12TB.  Around
580GB right now in the pool filesystem after pooling and compression.
This is all using a USB connected 3TB Western Digital USB drive in its
own little plastic box off the shelf from some computer store.  I did
tweak it so it doesn't spin down and park the heads every 8 seconds or
whatever stupid number it was.

How does 4.x compare with 3.x in terms of CPU and memory usage?

I can't comment on that for the Pi, as I've only ever seriously run
version 4.x on it.

Please let me know if you'd like any more detailed information, I can
easily run some instrumentation for a few days/weeks.

--

73,
Ged.