Just as an update...
I have been running BackupPC 4.x on my RPI4 with 8GB memory and an
external USB 1TB Samsung SSD.

It's been ROCK STABLE for the past 7 months -- no crashes in more than
200 days and I only rebooted once due to a kernel upgrade.

So in summary, it's a simple, fast, stable, small footprint,  and
affordable backup system.

(Full disclosure, I use it as a secondary backup to my Linux BackupPC server)

G.W. Haywood via BackupPC-users wrote at about 15:40:44 +0000 on Tuesday,
January 5, 2021: