> It's not a capacity problem.
> It's a performance problem.

Sorry, you implied that the problem was the capacity when you said

>> Also in the original example the disk isn't large enough, so we're
>> not
>> even making it to that stage.

But again, that was not the question.
> The question is, why is that new backup set being populated with stuff
> just to be deleted again after that (the exclusion list).

It's by design, in V4 the backup is stored as reverse deltas, and the
latest backup starts as an identical copy of the previous one and it's
modified to match the current status. Check the manual for the reasons:
https://backuppc.github.io/backuppc/BackupPC.html#BackupPC-4.0, specially
the "more detailed discussion".

Perhaps a solution for you would be to delete the ignored folder from the
last valid backup, so the new backup doesn't have it at the start. Check
the BackupPC_backupDelete command (
https://backuppc.github.io/backuppc/BackupPC.html#Other-Command-Line-Utilities),
but be careful as it could be pretty destructive.

Regards,
Guillermo