Hi everyone,

Coming from a v3 installation, I recently learned about the new --one-file-system rsync arg in v4 that caused us to have incomplete backups. After removing the arg from RsyncSshArgs and with (at that time) not up-to-date exclude lists, that unsurprisingly led to 100% disk usage in the pool filesystem the next day.

I quickly identified the host which caused that and deleted the most recent backup, followed by a BackupPC_nightly run. But that did not free up any disk space. I went ahead and deleted all backups from the past week for *all* our hosts and again followed by a BackupPC_nightly run. That did not do the trick either. Then I removed /var/lib/backuppc/pc/<host> of the host that caused it with a following BackupPC_nightly run, but again no luck.

The log shows this after the BackupPC_nightly run:

2023-10-25 13:15:13 admin3 : BackupPC_refCountUpdate: missing pool file c0c64d6473be85bbba367d2bf16e955e count 1 2023-10-25 13:15:13 admin3 : BackupPC_refCountUpdate: missing pool file c0f9f28705e2192fadb9cefd6db6a092 count 1 2023-10-25 13:15:13 admin3 : BackupPC_refCountUpdate: missing pool file c1764853cd8ae7503560b190499853de count 1
[...] (many times)

How am I supposed to free up disk space now?

I know I can brute force it by deleting the cpool directory, but I wanted to take the opportunity to investigate this. Because in another installation, we have backups of no longer existing hosts that cannot be simply deleted. This approach would not be viable here.

We are using a freshly installed (no upgrade) BackupPC 4.4.0 from source on Debian 11.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Best regards,
Tobias