Hi.

Noah wrote:
this is most likely due to the fact that bacula has not mounted the drive. this is different than when the operating system mounts a device, altho I can see how the termonology can be misleading. typing "mount" in bconsole should do the trick. it looks like from the messages bellow, the user that you are running bconsole as does not have permission to read/write to the /dev/sa0 device. you will probably want to take care of this too ;)

Thanks Pete - I think I am understanding you.  if you look at the output
below.  I typed "mount" and specified the onstream drive.  after the
successful mount executing the label command complains of /dev/sa0 not being
mounted.  what else can I try here?

can you please tell me or point me to the location in the documentation that
explains how I can grant permission for read/write to the /dev/sa0.  I am
running bconsole as root at the moment and find that I can write just fine to
/dev/sa0 .

Well, the point is that it's not bconsole doing the actual work with the tape drive, but bacula-sd (SD). So, you need to make sure that the user the SD runs as has the necessary rights.

I assume that unter FreeBSD the bacula installations starts the SD as a user bacula, group bacula. Then, make sure this user (or group) has read and write permissions on /dev/sa0. Now, I don't know FreeBSD device configuration scheme, but perhaps the chown command and / or chmod can help you, but perhaps you also have to set up a device file system configuration or something alike.

From my experience, the regular FreeBSD documentation, like the manual pages etc., are quite good, so you should find the necessary information yourself if nobody else knows more details...

Apart from that, you can, of course, run the SD as root - IIRC there are cases where some IOCTL operations can _only_ be done as root, so this is necessary in some cases anyway. Of course, on a system with user access you want to make sure that the SD can not be accessed or configured by everybody.

Hope that helps,

Arno

--- snip ---

# whoami
root
# bconsole
Connecting to Director typhoon:9101
1000 OK: typhoon-dir Version: 1.36.2 (28 February 2005)
Enter a period to cancel a command.
*mount
Using default Catalog name=MyCatalog DB=bacula
The defined Storage resources are:
     1: File
     2: Onstream
Select Storage resource (1-2): 2
3001 OK mount. Device=/dev/sa0
You have messages.
*label
The defined Storage resources are:
     1: File
     2: Onstream
Select Storage resource (1-2): 2
Enter new Volume name: backup
Automatically selected Pool: Default
Connecting to Storage daemon Onstream at typhoon.enabled.com:9103 ...
Sending label command for Volume "backup" Slot 0 ...
3910 Unable to open device /dev/sa0. ERR=dev.c:289 stored: unable to open
device /dev/sa0: ERR=Permission denied

Label command failed for Volume backup.
Do not forget to mount the drive!!!
*

--- snip ---

cheers,

Noah

-- IT-Service Lehmann [EMAIL PROTECTED] Arno Lehmann http://www.its-lehmann.de

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by: New Crystal Reports XI. Version 11 adds new functionality designed to reduce time involved in creating, integrating, and deploying reporting solutions. Free runtime info, new features, or free trial, at: http://www.businessobjects.com/devxi/728 _______________________________________________ Bacula-users mailing list Bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users