On 10/20/05, Iskandar Hai, M.D. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I wouldn't want to read into that hadith things that are not obviously and
> clearly in it. That would be distortion and misrepresentation.

Personally, I would want to avoid fundamentalism and a certain narrow
minded approach. For most questions, it generally isn't a good idea to
whip out the first passage in the Quran or hadith which you think
might apply, and interpret it in the first way which occurs to you.
The wiser and more intelligent approach would be to look at all the
different texts which apply, and try to understand what they say
collectively. And make sure you understand them properly, and make
sure you understand the real-world situation you want to apply them
to.

> So Unless, of
> course, one can find another particular hadith that specifically,
> explicitly, and clearly addresses this hadith and elaborates on it and
> clarifies it.

For example, one passage not just from a hadith but from the Quran
which is easy to mention in this regard is:

"whoever slays a soul, unless it be for manslaughter or for mischief
in the land, it is as though he slew all men; and whoever keeps it
alive, it is as though he kept alive all men"

So if you find some isolated hadith saying that its ok to kill
someone, a reasonable assumption is that they must have been guilty of
murder themselves or "mischief in the land"

or again:

[6.151] Say: Come I will recite what your Lord has forbidden to you--
(remember) that you do not associate anything with Him and show
kindness to your parents, and do not slay your children for (fear of)
poverty-- We provide for you and for them-- and do not draw nigh to
indecencies, those of them which are apparent and those which are
concealed, and do not kill the soul which Allah has forbidden except
for the requirements of justice; this He has enjoined you with that
you may understand

"do not kill the soul which Allah has forbidden except for the
requirements of justice".

So it would be clearly wrong to kill someone who had done nothing wrong.

--
"There are no poets"