The Baha'i Studies Listserv
This has been my experience.  I understand we are to be obedient, and we are
not to take offense, but this dogmatic approach raised bitterness,
resentment and resistance in me.  I started 1, 2 & 3 three times each before
finally completing 1 & 2 in an intensive.   Many years later, that is where
I am stalled.  After a decade as a Bahai, I still did not have what I
considered a solid enough grounding in Baha'u'llah to share the Faith with
others.  I wanted Book 4 badly and was delighted when we started it.  Then,
we were told we must complete the books in order.  I love children & support
their activities financially as often as possible, and I'm a board member
for a community theater  which has provided 17 years of classes for kids &
teens (including 3 absolutely amazing now young adult Bahais!) but I will
never, ever teach children's classes.  I haven't got physical health &
energy even to babysit.   Finally, as an isolated believer, I have an
opportunity to do Book 8 with a tutor while we wait for a group to finish
book 2 so we can do Book 4 together with a new believer.  I can't wait!

I'm frustrated with the way information still lags in getting to everyone.
It's been a few years now since I read the House of Justice's clarification
that we are not completely bound to Ruhi, that we have the freedom to use
whatever works best in the situation, whether Firesides or Core Curriculum
or Virtues.  I'd like to see more of us loving, respecting and supporting
each other for what we *can* do instead of "tsk, tsking" and shunning those
who can't do what we think they ought to be doing.

Kathryn