"profound" here is translation of Arabic word "bariyyat" or "bariyyah" which
has several meanings, including, a large (limitless) barren or desolate
desert, dry often sandy region of little rainfall, extreme temperatures, and
sparse vegetation, and is a poetic Arabic word to display lack of something
important. Here is the "limitless desert of the Spirit", which can be an
allegorical reference to this physical world, in contrast to the other
worlds of God which is perhaps FULL of Spirit!?

Max.

|On page 147 is found the following sentence:
|

|Behold this flamelike Youth that speedeth across the limitless
|profound of the Spirit, heralding unto you the tidings: "Lo:
|the Lamp of God is shining," and summoning you to heed His
|Cause which, though hidden beneath the veils of ancient
|splendour, shineth in the land of Iraq above the day-spring of
|eternal holiness.
|

|Here in his translation, the Guardian seems to use word
|'profound' as a noun, and this is new to me.