Hi there David!

I see you've been thinking again...  you wrote: <>Humble
people often genuinely believe
themselves to be of a lower station than they really are, and
express views which are false.<>

My understanding of humbleness is ones ability to repress
feelings of spiritual, intellectual, or physical superiority.
I don't think it has anything to do with "rank" or "station" -
you are injecting that into the equation;  certainly not the
Writings.

<>Ruhiyyih Khanum thought that Shoghi Effendi had appointed
her a Hand of the Cause just because she was his wife.<>

I am curious where this quote originated.  From Ministry of
the Custodians this quote from Amatu'l-Baha:

"Between March 1952 and March 1957 Shoghi Effendi appointed
five more Hands to replace five who had died, and a month
before he passed away he added a final, last contingent to the
Hands of the Cause through raising their number by eight more,
thus bringing us to twenty-seven-three times nine."

She, herself, was the first of these five;  being appointed in
March 1952 to replace her father:  Hand of the Cause of God,
William Sutherland Maxwell after his passing the same month.
This fact carries more significance, than that she was also
the Guardian's wife, in my opinion.

<>Mr. Balyuzi said that his last book was the only thing he
had ever done for the Faith.<>

The thought occurs to me that perhaps he was commenting on
"personal initiative" rather than "serving" the Cause.  When
appointed, the Hands accepted service to the Cause
unconditionally - to go beyond that requires individual
initiative.

Just my thoughts on your musings.

lovingly,  Sandra