Hello fellas,

I am trying to create a python function that can take an plain english
description of a regular expression and return the regular expression to the
caller.

Currently I am thinking of the description in YAML format. So, we can store
the description as a raw string variable, which is passed on to this another
function and output of that function is then passed to the 're' module.
Following is a rather simplistic example:

# a(b|c)d+e*

re1 = """

- literal: 'a'
- one_of: 'b,c'
- one_or_more_of: 'd'
- zero_or_more_of: 'e'
"""

myre = re.compile(getRegex(re1))

myre.search(...)

etc.

Does anyone think something of this sort would be of wider use? Do you know
already existing packages that can do it? What are the limitations that you
see to this approach? Does anyone think, having the declarative string in
code, would make it more maintainable?