Arthur Ness schrieb:
> That would be Elizabeth Stricker (not Strecker),
> lutenist in Coethen.
> Wife of JSB's precdecessor. I didn';t mean to suggest a
> visit to Leipzig.

I see. Haven´t heard of her before. It is interesting that among the
professional lutenists there had been some female  lutenists also.
There had been one in Stuttgart also: Maria Dorothea St.Pierre, later
married Spurny; and also a Mrs. Compernass.

> It is interesting that Sciurus's chorales also appear in
> that manuscript associated with Rust. I long suspected
> they were not by Rust, and that he just used the blank
> pages. The cover of the Sciurius "Canzoni devotti" (Mus
> Ms 40151) has the initials C. A. A. Pr. D'A.  Christina
> Agnes Agnera, Princess d'Anhalt-Coethen (hope I have
> that name OK). She was later Rust's patron when he was
> Kapellmesiter in
> Anhalt-Dessau. She studied harpsichord with JSB, but
> lute as well with Sciurus.  Have you ever considered the
> Canzoni as being gathered into three-movement suites?
> Breitkopf advertised a
> partita by Sciurius (now lost?).  The sonatas by Rust
> were written for her, I presume.

Unfortunately I don´t have yet a copy of the big Sciurus-Ms. Anyway that
is an interesting thought.
But I´m not sure, as in fact Sciurus seemed to have only arranged
existing chorale accompaignments.
> I thought Sciurius was Cammer-Musikus"?

Per Kjetil Farstad gives "Vocal-Musicus". As source he mentions
"Bach-Jahrbuch, 1905, pp.3 and 34, as quoted in Schulze, "Wer
intavolierte Johann Sebastan Bachs Lautenkompositionen?" - Die
Musikforschung XIX (1966/I), pp. 37-38.
Unfortunately I cannot look it up.

Best regards
Markus