Mimmo sent me an interesting idea. He agreed that I could forward it to you
guys. I think Martyn holds a similar position?

Rob

 Silk bass strings like the 19th c guitars Rob. My point of wiwe of course
This is why I think that the Gallicone was so suitable on bass line and
powerful. My idea is that the guitar copyed it and added the 6th bass.
 There are no any document that justify this point. I just consider that
this instrument is of the same proportion of a classical guitar of the
Torres- time.
And so:
gallicone in D: 70-73 cms
Guitar in E: 65 cms more or less
All is so well relate. different than d minor lutes, tined a third higher F.

In practise they, on gallicone,. employed the close wound silk strings, no
the open ones. And the 4th was close wound, this time.
You immage a sound powerfull like our guitars with basses with less sustain
due to a silk silk.
MImmo
Ciao
Mimmo