Yes, my view is indeed that the gallichon/mandora (both the A and the D/E
size) always used overwound strings and were perhaps even developed especially
to make use of these, then newly invented, strings.  I'm afraid tho' that this
is pure speculation since I've no evidence for it other than a low A, (ie the A
below the bass line) for the early Gallichon is very low even for an instrument
of string length in the 90s when compared to other continuo lutes.

  Note that I'm talking about the very large continuo instrument here (ie in A
tuning). This is probably the instrument advocated by Kuhnau for leading the
(bowed) basses and for which there are florid bass lines for many sacred
cantatas by Tellemann.  There is evidence that the smaller instruments (ie
string lengths from mid 60s [in E] to mid 70s [in D] were only ever used for
solo or ensemble work playing from tablature (there are many for solo and much
chamber music - see Lynda Sayces article for a good listing - much of the solo
repertoire is, frankly, not very good) and that the large instruments were
professional continuo instruments only. I'm developing a paper around this and
other matters.

  There is one problem however, there is no evidence for these instruments use
outside the German speaking lands or Bohemia and Moravia or Austria proper.

  MH

Rob MacKillop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Mimmo sent me an interesting idea. He agreed that I could forward it to you
guys. I think Martyn holds a similar position?

Rob

Silk bass strings like the 19th c guitars Rob. My point of wiwe of course
This is why I think that the Gallicone was so suitable on bass line and
powerful. My idea is that the guitar copyed it and added the 6th bass.
There are no any document that justify this point. I just consider that
this instrument is of the same proportion of a classical guitar of the
Torres- time.
And so:
gallicone in D: 70-73 cms
Guitar in E: 65 cms more or less
All is so well relate. different than d minor lutes, tined a third higher F.

In practise they, on gallicone,. employed the close wound silk strings, no
the open ones. And the 4th was close wound, this time.
You immage a sound powerfull like our guitars with basses with less sustain
due to a silk silk.
MImmo
Ciao
Mimmo