Dear Lutelist,

For anyone who is interested, here is my attempt to play a "Courante" by Mouton
from the Barbe Manuscript, p. 196 (p. 175 of my pdf facsimile). The link is

http://download.yousendit.com/D0517AFF31C1FE8E

I found this piece rather difficult, and it is probably over my head. Someone
recently mentioned doing three takes and keeping the best. I think I did at
least a hundred.

Keeping in mind something that Martin Shepherd recently wrote, I have moved the
mic about a meter away and added some light reverb with a longer delay time.

David Tayler recently recommended recording at 48Hz/24-bit. As far as I can
tell, the Edirol R-1 that I use will only record at 44.1Hz, though it can be
set to 24-bit. The trebles sounded a little distorted to me, and I am wondering
whether recording at 48Hz would give a truer sound. David also recomended the
Fostex FR2 LE. It costs about the same as the Edirol R-1, and I am considering
buying one. Can anyone tell me whether I would be getting much of an
improvement over the Edirol for the price? Any information would be welcome.

Critical feedback, especially from Rob and Mathias, has been very helpful in
the past. Again I welcome any and all comments, especially pointers for
improving my playing or recording.

Best wishes,

Stephen Arndt