Sorry, no pictures, but I also made something for my theorbo last year.  In
terms of practicality, I see nothing wrong with things like this.  Not
possessing any woodworking skills at all, my solution was low-tech in the
extreme: I took half a wooden clothes pin and glued it to part of a paint
stirrer.  I then glued some rubber shelf-liner (the stuff that many people use
on their laps to keep their instruments from slipping) to the bottom to keep it
in place.  Then I marked the right spot on the neck extension with a light
pencil stroke and just stuck it under the strings.  Then I colored it with a
black marker to make it look all fancy-schmancy.

Necessity was the mother of invention: I came up with it because of a live
radio broadcast I was doing that involved and a change from an F to F# bass.  I
figured that re-tuning would be rather tedious for the audience.  I've since
used the device for performances, too.  It worked really well for a set that I
did with a singer in which dramatic continuity was important.

Chris

Christopher Wilke
Lutenist, Guitarist and Composer
www.christopherwilke.com