   From: Martyn Hodgson <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
   To: BAROQUE-LUTE <baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>; Rob MacKillop
   <robmackil...@gmail.com>
   Sent: Tuesday, 4 October 2011, 10:25
   Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: L'Infidele
     Dear Rob,
     It is a stretch but I do think the low A (ie 13th) is meant: the BL
   MS
     is very clear and there are no signs of an a on the 6th course being
     altered to a 6 (as we sometimes find elsewhere).
     I think there are two factors here:
     1. Clearly much depends on how one disposes the hand: to play such
     extensions I move the thumb closer to the bridge (ie behind the
     plucking position of the fingers) and I find this allows the first
   and
     13th to be plucked simultaneously.
     2. The other thing is that I'm not quite sure if a string band of
   153mm
     isn't a bit too wide for a 13 course instrument.  The JC  Hoffmann
     (1730) string band is 140mm (both the Museum and Stephen Murphy's
     drawings) and my own instrument is 145mm (based on an average
     inter-course seperation of 12mm). As pointed out in a FoMRHI paper
     several years ago, there is some evidence that inter-course
   seperation
     reduced with the advent of the additional two bass courses (eg the
     earlier 11 course JC Hoffmann of 1716  has an average inter-course
     seperation of around 13mm) but I agree that some of the later large
     theorboed German lutes exhibit quite large inter-course seperation.
     However Weiss seems to have written for the 13th course instrument
   with
     a single pegbox (with treble and bass riders) as the 1730 Hoffmann as
     witnessed by stopping basses below course 8 and not the late 'galant'
     type of 13th course lute. Incidentally,  Baron (1727) particularly
     singles out JC Hoffmann for making instruments which fit the hand: in
     DA Smith's translation 'He [JCH] also knows how to place the courses
     and strings at the proper distances so that his lutes can be
     manipulated very easily'.
     Finally, could you remind me of the paper /research source which
     analysis the sizes of 13th course bridges and suggests an average of
     153mm?
     regards,
     Martyn