   From: Rob MacKillop <robmackil...@gmail.com>
   To: William Samson <willsam...@yahoo.co.uk>
   Cc: Martyn Hodgson <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>; BAROQUE-LUTE
   <baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Tuesday, 4 October 2011, 12:44
   Subject: Re: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: L'Infidele
   Thanks, Bill. That's it. To which Malcolm added a few more, including
   the bizarre c.160mm on the small Berr, the smallest lute but with the
   largest string band.
   Thanks to all the advice on different approaches to managing these
   stretches. I'll give them all a go.
   Rob
   www.robmackillop.net

   [1][2]http://www.mail-archive.com/lute@cs.dartmouth.edu/msg19722.html

   >  Best regards,
   >  Bill
   BL
   >  MS
   >    is very clear and there are no signs of an a on the 6th course
   being
   >    altered to a 6 (as we sometimes find elsewhere).
   >    I think there are two factors here:
   >    1. Clearly much depends on how one disposes the hand: to play such
   >    extensions I move the thumb closer to the bridge (ie behind the
   >    plucking position of the fingers) and I find this allows the first
   >  and
   >    13th to be plucked simultaneously.
   >    2. The other thing is that I'm not quite sure if a string band of
   >  153mm
   >    isn't a bit too wide for a 13 course instrument.  The JC  Hoffmann
   >    (1730) string band is 140mm (both the Museum and Stephen Murphy's
   >    drawings) and my own instrument is 145mm (based on an average
   >    inter-course seperation of 12mm). As pointed out in a FoMRHI paper
   >    several years ago, there is some evidence that inter-course
   >  seperation
   >    reduced with the advent of the additional two bass courses (eg the
   >    earlier 11 course JC Hoffmann of 1716  has an average inter-course
   >    seperation of around 13mm) but I agree that some of the later
   large
   >    theorboed German lutes exhibit quite large inter-course
   seperation.
   >    However Weiss seems to have written for the 13th course instrument
   >  with
   >    a single pegbox (with treble and bass riders) as the 1730 Hoffmann
   as
   >    witnessed by stopping basses below course 8 and not the late
   'galant'
   >    type of 13th course lute. Incidentally,  Baron (1727) particularly
   >    singles out JC Hoffmann for making instruments which fit the hand:
   in

   [10]http://www.mail-archive.com/lute@cs.dartmouth.edu/msg19722.html