From: Martyn Hodgson <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
     Subject: Re: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: A=392
     To: "David van Ooijen" <davidvanooi...@gmail.com>
     Date: Wednesday, 30 November, 2011, 13:46

   Thank you for this.

   I think the same general query applies to modern players too - what
   evidence have you for your assertion that all experienced players can
   transpose tablature on sight?

   MH

   --- On Wed, 30/11/11, David van Ooijen <davidvanooi...@gmail.com>

     From: David van Ooijen <davidvanooi...@gmail.com>
     Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: A=392
     To: "Baroque Lute List (E-mail)" <baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Wednesday, 30 November, 2011, 13:28

   On 30 November 2011 11:18, Martyn Hodgson
   <[1]hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
   > So, if I understand you right, the early lute players could all
   transpose tablature on sight - have you any evidence for this
   assertion?

   > You also suggest we shouldn't discuss such matters....... I wonder
   why?
   Oh dear, is my English that bad?
   This is what I wrote:

   > Transposing lute song (intabulated parts) isn't that hard for an
   > experienced player. No need to write it out, no need to write about
   > it.
   <<
   Did I speak of early lute players? No, I wrote 'experienced player'.
   That would include early as well as not so early lute players, as long
   as they are experienced. I'm a not so early lute player and I've
   accompanied a few lute songs in my time, so, just for the sake of
   argument, let's consider me experienced. I can transpose an
   intabulated lute song accompaniment on sight. Next part of your
   question. Did I say we shouldn't discuss matters? No, I wrote that if
   transposing on sight is a common skill, there is no need to write out
   parts and there is no need to write about the skill of transposing on
   sight.
   And now I've got myself into trouble, because I just wrote about
   something for which I didn't see the need to write ... what shall I
   do?
   And once again, I do apologise for my bad English, so sorry.
   David