Dear baroque lutenists

There seems to be quite a lot of also Weiss, and also some rare Weiss mss., in the huge facsimile collection by Ivan Jellinek in the Scribd:
  http://www.scribd.com/collections/4236677/Baroque-Lute-Tablature

And no $1000 there... :-)

Arto

On 27/07/13 22:39, Christopher Wilke wrote:
    Sterling,
         At a $1000 a pop it is clearly intended for well-funded
    libraries and the goal seems to be to get the music into scholars',
    rather than performers' hands. That's a laudable goal, but a
    transcription sans original will be practically useless for any scholar
    conducting serious research. Such an edition would only be good for
    getting a very general gist of Weiss's works. The transference from tab
    to modern notation by necessity requires many editorial decisions. Even
    in the most fully-catalogued critical edition, some of these decisions
    are "hidden," especially regarding durations and voice leading. Even
    the correction of mistakes might be called into question and clarified
    only by looking at a facsimile.
         I'm certainly not saying that there shouldn't BE a transcription.
    I'm just not sure why an edition of such limited use gets priority
    without the facsimile. I suppose they hoping that some important
    musicologist reaching for a volume of the works of Clara Schumann will
    accidentally knock Weiss's volume off the shelf, have it fall open and
    think, "Wow, I am instantly beguiled by this repertoire heretofore
    unknown to me! Thankfully, this serendipitous initial encounter
    presents the music in a non-intimidating format that is friendly to my
    keyboard-playing hands or I would have never deigned to give it the
    slightest attention."
    Chris
    .

    Christopher Wilke