Hi Chris,

Thanks for the help, I am still trying catchup with your replies.

On 09/03/2015 12:03 PM, Chris Frey wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 11:42:35AM -0400, Jim Robinson wrote:
>>    Found the message in the mail list where it was suggested a problem
>> with the password.
>>
>> so tried
>> btool -t -P pwd
>
> If you forget to include your password, the device can be left in
> a state that Barry can't recover from.  Try unplugging your device, and
> trying again *with* the password.  Sometimes the breset command will
> suffice to get it working again.

Thanks for that tip. I was going to test today with locking my BBerry
and see all still works.

so will try
btool -t -P pwd
&
Barry desktop.

breset == BlackBerry reset?
I also found another one
bidentify

Are there any more.

>> Big Change
>>> escau@escau-desktop:~$ btool -l
>>> Blackberry devices found:
>>> Device ID: 0x8ec42f0. PIN: 2a11554d, Description: RIM BlackBerry Device,
>>> Name: Touch
>>> escau@escau-desktop:~$ btool -t
>>> Blackberry devices found:
>>> Device ID: 0x8f882f0. PIN: 2a11554d, Description: RIM BlackBerry Device,
>>> Name: Touch
>>> Using device (PIN): 2a11554d
>>> Database database:
>>>      Database: 0x0 'Address Book' (records: 39)
>>>      Database: 0x1 'Address Book - All' (records: 39)
>>>      Database: 0x2 'Address Book - Last Used Hints' (records: 1)
>>>      Database: 0x3 'Address Book Options' (records: 1)
>
> Excellent :-)

Yes but only after unlocking my BBerry.

>> Back to Barry desktop.
>> now browse database works, I was able to see my databases.
>> Backup and Restore worked
>> I was able to do a Backup not tried a restore as yet!!
>
> In the backup program, you can restore individual databases.  The process
> of restoring will erase the database, and then add all records back.
> So limiting to only the database you want to test with, is a good start.
I am keeping copies as I go through the testing process

I restored an older backup, checked the BBerry and yes the changes that
I had made to memo database, I had made using browse databases, had been
removed.

Then restored the latest version and the changes were back in place so
it seems that backup and restore are working correctly.

>> Then back to trying to use the link to Evolution. Perhaps I will need to
>> learn a lot more on how to use it.
Evolution that is.

> Opensync is indeed a different beast, and I'd say it is more tricky to
> get working than Barry itself.  But with fresh backups, experimenting
> can be fun, and syncing is the payoff at the end. :-)
>
> I'd recommend sticking with opensync 0.4x, especially since you have it
> installed.

I was going to ask that question especially since the web searches seem
to 60& use 0.22 and 40% 0.40. Also osynctool does not seem as easy to
use, as there are fewer examples on the web. Also the structure of the
conf files seems to have changed.
> Note that it is possible to backup and restore from the command line,
> using the bio tool,

Another command that I did not know about, are there any more?

as well as running opensync from the command line,
> using osynctool.  During testing, you might want to script things,
> so you can setup your sync plugins, configs, etc, and do it repeatedly
> from scratch if you need to, and save some typing.

Yes I was thinking using aliases and scripts.

Also I find that  osynctool --configure is a pain as I believe that it
uses vim as the editor. I found the locations of the .conf files and use
nano. I use aliases all the time to backup a file before editing a file.
E.g. for fstab
Aliases look like
alias fstab_cp='sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab_20150904_09:42'
alias fstab_ed='sudo nano /etc/fstab'
generate from a part of script file
alias fstab_cp="sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab_$(date +%Y%m%d_%H:%M)"
alias fstab_ed="sudo nano /etc/fstab"

A new question, or questions
Does barrybackup backup all of your BlackBerry ID information i.e. PIN
messenger number etc.?
Since I have managed to get Barrydesktop to work on 12.04 is it a valid
experiment to try on 14.04. Ubuntu say that it is supported and use the
files including opensync that I downloaded from your web site.

Best Wishes and Thanks
Jim