On Fri, Sep 04, 2015 at 10:05:32AM -0400, Jim Robinson wrote:
> Thanks for that tip. I was going to test today with locking my BBerry
> and see all still works.
>
> so will try
> btool -t -P pwd
> &
> Barry desktop.
>
> breset == BlackBerry reset?
> I also found another one
> bidentify
>
> Are there any more.

The user-useful programs that come with barry-util are:

/usr/sbin/breset                USB reset on blackberry
/usr/sbin/pppob                 PPP over Barry... used if tethering
/usr/bin/btool                  Original command line investigative tool
/usr/bin/bwatch                 Show updating screenshot of device in window
/usr/bin/bio                    Barry I/O - does various copying of data to and
                                from device, tarballs, formats, etc
/usr/bin/btardump               Like btool, but for backup files
/usr/bin/btarcmp                Compare backups
/usr/bin/bfuse                  Mount your Blackberry database as a filesystem
                                to browse contacts, etc as files.
/usr/bin/bjavaloader            Install java programs
/usr/bin/balxparse              Read java program files
/usr/bin/bjdwp                  Barry Java debugger
/usr/bin/brawchannel            Used for communicating with a running app on
                                a device.
/usr/bin/bidentify              Displays name, PIN, etc about whatever devices
                                are plugged in
/usr/bin/brecsum                Calculates sha1 sums for database records...
                                used for testing and development / verfication
/usr/bin/upldif                 Uploads contacts from LDAP's LDIF format into
                                the contacts.... BUT! it erases what exists
                                before the upload, so use with caution.

These have man pages for more information.

> I was going to ask that question especially since the web searches seem
> to 60& use 0.22 and 40% 0.40. Also osynctool does not seem as easy to
> use, as there are fewer examples on the web. Also the structure of the
> conf files seems to have changed.

Yes, but I believe 0.4x opensync is more rubust in handling syncing and
errors.  Version 0.22 can get more easily confused.  That said, they can
both get confused, which is why you want to script your setup, so you
can restart easily.

> Also I find that  osynctool --configure is a pain as I believe that it
> uses vim as the editor. I found the locations of the .conf files and use
> nano. I use aliases all the time to backup a file before editing a file.
> E.g. for fstab
> Aliases look like
> alias fstab_cp='sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab_20150904_09:42'
> alias fstab_ed='sudo nano /etc/fstab'
> generate from a part of script file
> alias fstab_cp="sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab_$(date +%Y%m%d_%H:%M)"
> alias fstab_ed="sudo nano /etc/fstab"

Set your environment variable EDITOR to the editor of your choice, and
osynctool should use that instead.

> A new question, or questions
> Does barrybackup backup all of your BlackBerry ID information i.e. PIN
> messenger number etc.?

The backup only backs up the databases.  Your java programs are not
backed up with it.  Your PIN is baked into your device and doesn't
need to be backed up.  Not sure where the messenger number is stored.

> Since I have managed to get Barrydesktop to work on 12.04 is it a valid
> experiment to try on 14.04. Ubuntu say that it is supported and use the
> files including opensync that I downloaded from your web site.

You can try, but the Barry that comes with Ubuntu does not have any
opensync support built in.  You would still need to install the Barry
packages from sourceforge.  I haven't tried this, and you might run
into dependency problems.

- Chris