Looks like debug gives no extra info:

basex@f2c1e3d6f9db:~$ basexhttp -d

/home/basex/.basex: Unknown option 'CATFILE'.

/home/basex/.basex: Unknown option 'DTD'.

/home/basex/.basex: Unknown option 'SKIPCORRUPT'.

/home/basex/.basex: Unknown option 'CHOP'.

/home/basex/.basex: writing new configuration file.

DEBUG: true

[main] INFO org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server - jetty-8.1.17.v20150415

[main] INFO org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.StandardDescriptorProcessor - NO JSP
Support for /, did not find org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet

WEBPATH: /opt/basex/webapp

DEBUG: true

BaseX 8.3 [Server]

Server was started (port: 1984).

[main] INFO org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractConnector - Started
SelectChannelConnector@0.0.0.0:8984

HTTP Server was started (port: 8984).

I did have a problem at one point where I didn't have my file system
permissions set correctly and got a "cannot write .basex file" message and
debug showed me a java traceback but I resolved that issue.

Cheers,

E.
----
Eliot Kimber, Owner
Contrext, LLC
http://contrext.com

Difficult to tell what may go wrong.. What is output if you start basexhttp
in debugging mode (with -d)?

<http://SelectChannelConnector@0.0.0.0:8984>