Robert Fenk writes:
 > On Thursday, February 1 2001 00:17:41, Sridhar Boovaraghavan wrote:
 > [...]
 > > This might be some weird interaction with Emacs 21. I downloaded
 > > 21.0.97 (the latest pretest) today and the behavior was even
 > > worse. Now in addition to the error, VM doesn't display the messages
 > > properly (I see the entire folder when I try to display a message by
 > > hitting space in the summary buffer.)
 > >
 > > I commented out (bbdb-insinuate-vm) for things to come back to normal
 > > (in VM respects).
 > >
 > > Here is the stack trace of the error. I am just opening my primary
 > > inbox. The message that is currently being displayed (from Avtar Vasu)
 > > has a BBDB record associated with the sender.
 > >
 > [...]
 >
 > This message works fine with Xemacs and GNU Emacs 20.7 (non
 > mule) -- I am not able to reproduce this.
 >
 > Do you get this error also when executing just this?
 > [press a "C-x C-e" behind the closing ")" paren]
 >
 > (bbdb-extract-address-components "\"Avtar Vasu\" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>")
 >
 > It should return the following
 >
 > (("Avtar Vasu" "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"))
 >
 > Is there another GNU Emacs user with the same problem?

I do get the results that you show above.

I have had to set bbdb-extract-address-components-handler to nil for
normal VM behavior to come back. Unless I did this, I was getting
behavior that I described in my previous e-mail (i.e. instead of
showing the message, VM used to show the whole folder - which probably
means something is going wrong in a VM message display hook and it is
simply eating up the error display).

When I set it to nil and try to display the message that I had
attached in my previous e-mail, I see this in my *Messages*
buffer. When I try a ';' or a ':' to show some information about the
sender, nothing happens. When I go to the message headers and say
bbdb-show-all-recipients, I get a "  is not in the db, add (...)". So,
it is somehow finding that "  " that is in the subject and trying to
find an address for that person. Then it properly shows the sender's
(Avtar Vasu) BBDB record.
--
End of message 172 from Avtar Vasu [2 times]
or:

Sorting...
Formatting...done.
<<< Press Space to bury the Insidious Big Brother Database list >>>
--

The message or: is when I use the ';' key. The message if: unperson is
when I use the ':' key.

Sridhar
--
Sridhar Boovaraghavan