Benjamin Rutt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Maybe people who want the luxury of running BBDB with multiple emacsen
> can live with running BBDB uncompiled?  Or, they could maintain
> multiple installation dirs and compile for multiple emacsen.

If you run Debian, I think this is what happens, eventually, for the
Debian extensions to Emacs and XEmacs.  They are all in some site-lisp
kind of thing, but elisp sources and compiled elisp files for each
emacsen are stored in different directories.  This confuses oldbies to
no end, but at least installing one copy of the source and several
copies of the byte code work.  I don't think we should cater to this
scenario, though.

The most common case is people use either Emacs or XEmacs (no, no
facts, just IMNSHO).  So all we have to do is test for the most common
goof-up.  Running compiled code from the other emacsen.  And I really
think that either this is an Emacs/XEmacs problem and should be
resolved outside of BBDB, or we can fix the Makefile such that one
tiny little file doesn't get compiled, ever, and all it does is check
that if compiled files exist, they will be run only on an emacsen
compatible with it.  What do you think?

I think such a "test-for-right-emacsen" file could be really simple
and to use it, all we would do is require it in bbdb-autoloads.el.  Or
something like that.  Or maybe bbdb-autloads.el doesn't get compiled
anyway and we can just add the test to that file instead.  (I don't
know wether it gets compiled or not because I use both Emacs and
XEmacs and run it straight from the source...  :)

Alex.
--
http://www.emacswiki.org/