:* Ronan Waide writes:

 | On August 10, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
 || If I look at ~/.bbdb, I see that it has inserted an open
 || parentheses at the top of the file, just below the
 || ;;;file-version: 6, and added a close-paren at the end.

 | That's part of the process by which the file is read. Does the
 | situation improve if you remove these parens?

That was the first thing I tried, and it didn't...In fact, they were
simply added back in the next time I tried to to a BBDB lookup.

 || I have to assume that some spammer forged a name or address which
 || managed to slip into the bbdb which is confusing the parser,
 || however,
 | This is unlikely, since such an address would have caused problems
 | for code elsewhere before ever making it into BBDB. What's more
 | likely is that the file got corrupted in some other way. Do you use
 | any other means of updating BBDB, such as Palm Pilot hooks?

I don't have any other means of updating the BBDB, and I've never seen
any trouble since I upgraded to 2.34...Until last week.

I've managed to fix the problem, though I have no idea how.  The steps
I followed were to "manually" remove all entries with a creation date
of sometime last week, then use my paren-counting perl script to find
non-matching parens...Which located what looked like half an entry
from the line below.  When that was removed, everything was okay.

However, I'm fairly certain that I managed to introduce that bit of
corruption on my own, hitting the wrong keys in Emacs whilst manually
removing the entries.  So I'm still not sure what caused the original,
spontaneous corruption.

In any case, thanks for your advice.

Eric
**
Eric Moncrieff                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
**
                This space intentionally left blank.