On Mon Apr 4 2011 Leo wrote:
> I personally think it would be far more productive to worry about
> backward compatibility later on. For example, we could add a new
> org-bbdb3 module to org mode and leave the old as it is.

While I do not know any details of how BBDB is hooked into /
interfacing org mode, I expect that Leo's suggestion is probably the
cleanest way to go (and similar for other packages that might have a
bbdb interface).

Currently I am compiling the ChangeLog for the round of changes that
I worked on recently, which I want to put into the repository in a
couple of days.

Beyond these new changes, I am kind of "running out of ideas" what
else could / should be done to upgrade BBDB to an up-to-date package
of software, i.e., I think that by now I have done more or less
everything that should be done to bring BBDB up to date. So I want
to declare a feature freeze for my own BBDB hacking (unless someone
else proposes some good ideas what should still be modified /
upgraded in BBDB -- suggestions welcome!). There are probably still
various bugs in the new code that I have overlooked up to now. So
I'd like to wait some time. Then it might be a good time for a first
proper release of the new BBDB.