"Roland Winkler" <wink...@gnu.org> writes:

> Part of the problem is also copyright-related. The goal is to make
> BBDB part of GNU Emacs, which requires that the copyright for all
> its code (from all contributors) gets assigned to the FSF. The older
> the code, the more difficult to find the authors and contributors.
> The more BBDB gets rewritten, the less this is a problem.

I've looked at the old manual and have been a bit overwhelmed by the
task. There is a lot of material there by quite a few people. I don't
know how easy it would be to hunt down the authors and ask them for
permission to re-license the content with (I presume) GFDL (it is
currently under some form of BSD license).

On the other hand I would assume that some of the contents of the manual
is no longer valid and can be scrapped, e.g. the internals section,
comments about GNUS (the old newsreader before Gnus came along) or the
integration with a phone dialer which only ever seemed to have worked on
Solaris with a modem(?). Maybe the installation section could be
scrapped if the aim is to get it integrated with Emacs.

At the risk of loosing lot of material, maybe a more promising approach
would be indeed to start from scratch, like Philipp Moeller has proposed
(https://github.com/bo0ts/bbdb-v3).

Thanks
Christian
--