On Wed Dec 28 2011 Sam Steingold wrote:
> > * Sam Steingold <f...@tah.bet> [2011-12-28 12:44:25 -0500]:
> >
> > When I use the "tall" display, the *BBDB* window is vertical
> > (i.e., it is split sideways, which is precisely what I want)
> > When I use the "wide" display, the *BBDB* window is horizontal
> > (i.e., it is split on the bottom top of another windows,
> > which is _NOT_ what I want).
>
> I still have the problem, but now it's the other way around: wide
> display is split according to bbdb-message-pop-up == horiz and the tall
> display ignores is.
> The only difference I see is that after I restarted emacs, the "first"
> frame is tall and the second is wide.
> I.e., it appears that bbdb-message-pop-up is ignored in the first frame.
>
> Still confused...

Have you looked at bbdb-horiz-pop-up-window-size?

The new code for horizontal window splitting should give you the
same behavior as the old code, except for hard-coded numbers being
replaced by the user variable bbdb-horiz-pop-up-window-size.

Yet part of the problem might be that different people might have
different expectations what they consider meaningful and appropriate
here. If you have some ideas how to improve the code for everybody,
they will be appreciated.