"Roland Winkler" <wink...@gnu.org> writes:

> On Thu Jun 6 2013 Kevin Brubeck Unhammer wrote:
>>   bbdb-record-name([nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil [nil nil nil nil nil nil]
>> nil])
>
> I cannot reproduce this. Here you have a new record where the cache
> is in the wrong element.
>
>> I'm on BBDB version 3.02 ($Date: 2013/05/15 13:17:58 $)
>
> Could it be that you are loading / using some code that is somehow
> not up to date?
>
> What does your docstring of bbdb-record-set-cache say?
> It should say
>
>   For BBDB RECORD set element 9 `cache' to VALUE.  Return VALUE.
>
> It appears as if you were using a wrong version of this function
> that puts the cache into element 8. (This can completely mess up
> your database.)

It says

    For BBDB RECORD set element 9 `cache' to VALUE.  Return VALUE.
    Do not call this function directly.  Call instead `bbdb-record-set-field'
    which ensures the integrity of the database.  Also, this makes your code
    more robust with respect to possible future changes of BBDB's innermost
    internals.

I also tried with fairly empty dotfiles:

    $ cat dotemacs
    (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/elpa/bbdb-20130526.1945/")
    (require 'bbdb-autoloads)
    (require 'bbdb)
    (bbdb-initialize 'message)
    (bbdb-mua-auto-update-init 'message)
    (setq bbdb-update-records-p 'create)
    (setq debug-on-error t)
    (compose-mail "t...@example.com" "test")

    $ rm -f .bbdb && emacs -q -l dotemacs

I press C-c C-c in the email buffer, and get the same error message.
Running emacs 24.3.1 on Arch Linux.

--
Kevin Brubeck Unhammer

GPG: 0x766AC60C