"Roland Winkler" <wink...@gnu.org> writes:

> On Fri Jun 7 2013 Kevin Brubeck Unhammer wrote:
>> I also tried with fairly empty dotfiles:
>>
>>     $ cat dotemacs
>>     (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/elpa/bbdb-20130526.1945/")
>>     (require 'bbdb-autoloads)
>
> This looks like the culprit.
> You need to run make to generate the autoloads file (as well as to
> compile the lisp code).
> In your case, make will throw an error because you still have a very
> old file bbdb-autoloads.el that you should first delete.
> bbdb-autoloads.el got replaced by bbdb-loaddefs.el
> After you deleted bbdb-autoloads.el, make should run fine.

Checked out straight from savannah instead of elpa, and it worked, but
the bbdb-autoloads.el in elpa seemed to have no substantial differences
from bbdb-loaddefs.el (http://sprunge.us/BedL) and all other .el files
were the same …

> But make sure you do not have any other outdated files either in the
> BBDB source directory.

but then I saw the .elc's; this fixed it:

rm -f ~/.emacs.d/elpa/bbdb-20130526.1945/*.elc

Doh. I thought elpa would keep those up-to-date, guess one cannot always
trust that.

--
Kevin Brubeck Unhammer

GPG: 0x766AC60C