> This variable contains forms that are evaluated using `eval',
> assuming that the variables appearing in this form are bound
> dynamically.  - I believe that old coding schemes like this one,

There are two ways to do that with lexical-binding:
- use (eval <form> `((<var1> . ,<val1>) (<var2> . ,<val2>) ...)
  which will not give the exact same behavior but works well in many
  cases (i.e. depends on the code put in diary-date-forms).
- use

    (defvar <var1>) (defvar <var2>) ...
    (let ((<var1> <val1>)
          (<var2> <val2>)
          ...)
      (eval <form> t))

  which will preserve backward compatibility.

-- Stefan