>> The first solution binds the <varN> variables lexically rather than
>> dynamically.  That means that if those <varN> appear lexically inside
>> the <form> things will work correctly, but if <form> calls a function
>> which then refers to <varN> this reference will fail.
> Thank you for the clarification.  The code in bbdb-anniv binds the
> variables lexcially via let which also contains the call of eval.
> So this is fine.

Not sure I understand.  You seem to describe something like

    (let ((x1 v1)) ... (eval exp) ...)

in which case the evaluation of `exp' will not have access to `x1'.
What I suggested was

    (eval exp `((x1 . ,v1)))

in which case the value of `exp' can contain references to `x1'.
But it's still different from a dynamic-binding of `x1', because

    (let ((exp '(+ x1 4)))
      (eval exp `((x1 . 5))))

will correctly return 9, but

    (defun my-f (y) (+ x1 y))
    (let ((exp '(my-f 4)))
      (eval exp `((x1 . 5))))

will signal en error because `x1' is not visible to `my-f' (it's only
visible lexically within `exp').

In many cases, this is perfectly acceptable, in which case it's the
solution I recommend.

        Stefan