I also ran into this a while ago. I did a kludge fix in my initialization:

(setq bbdb-print-require t)

but of course this makes even blank records print, so it is not
exactly recommended for anything other than a quick and sloppy
workaround.

By the way I also had to do this as I was having a problem with the
tex-path being undefined:

(setq bbdb-print-tex-path '("/home/bnewell/.emacs.d/elpa/"))

and, in addition, the melpa package didn't seem to have the .tex files
so I had to fetch the git distribution and copy them over.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

Sent via Linux Mint 17.