Gábor Stefanik wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 12:05 AM, Roman Medina-Heigl
> Hernandez<ro...@rs-labs.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Sorry for pinging this list but I did some searches and I couldn't find
>>
>> I've got a new Dell Mini-10 ("Inspiron 1010"), with the following wifi
>> chipset: "BCM 4310 USB". It's got PCI-ID: 14e4:4315. Despite being marked
>> as "USB", I suppose it's a  mini-pci (as stated in this list's archives and
>> some other places).
>>
>> But looking at:
>> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#Known_PCI_devices
>> I can see:
>>
>> "14e4:4315      not supported   BCM4312 802.11b/g - low power"
>>
>> So my 1st question is: are BCM4312 and BCM4310 "the same"? Why do they have
>> the same pci-id?
>
> The correct name of the card is BCM4312; some older pci.ids files
> incorrectly list it as "BCM4310 USB". Update your pci.ids to fix this.

See below.

>> My second question: at the same page I can read:
>>
>> "BCM 4310 USB - This device has an LP PHY. We think that means low power.
>> In any case, previous code does not work. The reverse engineers have
>> generated specs for the code writers and development is in progress. Note:
>> This card uses the PCI bus, despite its name."
>>
>> Please, could you update this info? I don't know whether the comment is up
>> to date or whether (perhaps) some progress happened since then... any
>> experimental driver out there?

As you have discovered, this info is up to date.

> There is no experimental driver yet. I'm currently working on an
> implementation, but right now, not even the hardware init code is
> complete.

Broadcom really has messed up the naming of the LP devices. For example,

(a) BCM4312 802.11abg devices with ID 14e4:4312 that works with b43
(b) BCM4312 802.11bg devices with ID 14e4:4315 that does not work
(c) BCM4310 USB with ID 14e4:4315 that also does not work with b43

The device in (c) has a USB core that is not enabled. I think Broadcom
was considering a USB implementation; however these have never been
released AFAIK. All of them are built on a PCI base.

Larry