2009/10/25 Larry Finger <larry.fin...@lwfinger.net>:
> On 10/25/2009 05:28 PM, Gábor Stefanik wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 11:08 PM, Linus Torvalds
>> <torva...@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

>>> Is there some way to dump all the device registers behind the SSB bridge?
>>> If so, dumping them for the warm-boot and cold-boot cases, and seeing
>>> where they are different might be an obvious clue, and point to something
>>> that isn't initialized correctly.
>>>

>> I don't know of such a method; however I have previously succeeded in
>> using mmiotrace to find differences between wl and b43, so it might be
>> of help in this case. However, this might be completely irrelevant, as
>> I suspect that PhoenixBIOS is interfering with the DMA mappings of the
>> card, which wl (and the Windows driver) works around somehow. (Is this
>> "PR41573"? In that case, it's possible that the calibration patch -
>> maybe in conjunction with a proper PHY reset - will fix it.)
>>
>> Larry: what BIOS are you testing on?
>
> The splash screen shows it to be a Phoenix BIOS.

Kinda odd - apparently not all Phoenix BIOS versions are affected. (Or
is this Phoenix AwardBIOS, Award Modular BIOS's successor? That would
explain why it doesn't reproduce the error.)

> With dmidecode I see
> the following:
>
> BIOS Information
>        Vendor: Hewlett-Packard
>        Version: F.21
>        Release Date: 02/28/2008
>        Address: 0xE7060
>        Runtime Size: 102304 bytes
>        ROM Size: 1024 kB
>        Characteristics:
>                ISA is supported
>                PCI is supported
>                PC Card (PCMCIA) is supported
>                PNP is supported
>                APM is supported
>                BIOS is upgradeable
>                BIOS shadowing is allowed
>                ESCD support is available
>                Boot from CD is supported
>                ACPI is supported
>                USB legacy is supported
>                AGP is supported
>                BIOS boot specification is supported
>                Targeted content distribution is supported
>        BIOS Revision: 15.33
>        Firmware Revision: 81.81

Is this all that dmidecode outputs? There is an important element
towards the end of the dump that identifies a PhoenixBIOS, even if it
is "cloaked".

--
Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)