Please keep it on-list. This is really important to get this debugged properly.

On Thursday 19 November 2009 00:23:18 Oncaphillis wrote:
> On 11/18/2009 11:59 PM, Michael Buesch wrote:
> >> What kind of device is that? Some laptop? I only knew about embedded
> >> devices
> >> using these wireless cards without sprom.
> >> Is the card connected via (mini)pci? Or is it on-board?
> >>
> >> What we need is a way to identify the card so we avoid accessing
> >> the dangling bus to the sprom. I'd like to avoid the read-the-first-word-
> >> and-check-if-its-all-ones approach, because accesses a dangling bus.
> >> That's obviously no good and can hang the CPU due to missing bus acks.
> >>
> >> What's the lspci -vvnn output for the card?
> >>

> > Note that the chipcommon revision on the card is 0x16. That's a pretty high
> > number.
> > I wonder if they changed something and there actually _is_ an sprom on the
> > card,
> > but there's just a new way to access it (or the shadow area has to be
> > mapped through
> > chipcommon first or something like that)...
>

> It's an acer aspire one d250 netbook

Nice. Is it possible to open the device and take a picture of the card?
It's trivial to find out this way whether it has a SPROM or not, because it's
a separate chip.

Is it this device?
http://hax0rpedia.com/index.php/Disassembeling_the_AAO_D250

Can you open the lower-right cover shown here:
http://hax0rpedia.com/index.php/File:Aao_d250_step2.jpg
and take a closeup picture of the wireless card?
Also probably a picture of the backside of the card. That'd require removing
the card, though.

We really need to find out somehow if there is a SPROM chip on the device
and if that's the case how to access it.

> You may have a look at the full lspci -vvnn output at:

Nice, thanks.

> I did a "read the first word". Surprisingly it succeeds the first time.
> After that I may still read 32bit words. When the module tries to read
> the sprom the second time looking for a larger sprom the first read16
> fails.

Well, my guess is that _any_ subsequent 16bit read would fail from then on,
because it was still waiting for the bus-ack of the first one.
If the bus really is dangling, we must avoid to access it in the first place.

> Should I try to dump out the full 16k area reported for the device ?

I don't think that would be useful.

--
Greetings, Michael.