I would add "critical thinking" to Stacey's four requirements for democracy, maybe you
could say it's a subset of true literacy - but it certainly seems to have declined
drastically in the past three decades.

BTW, this thread brings to mind a novel by Sinclair Lewis, It Can't Happen Here, about
how fascism takes over America. (One great line (and I paraphrase):"Oh, but the boys
look so splendid marching in their uniforms!" The seduction of the image, without
questioning what lies behind it.)

Nancy G.