Title: Re: What is Magic?

----- Original Message -----
From: Moen Creek
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 7:31 PM
Subject: Re: What is Magic?

Although this is the major argument why grassfed is not truly
sustainable, aren't a lot of nutrients also  coming from the
atmosphere so that it is possible recycle manure while harvesting
meat and still be break-even on the nutrient scale(s)?

-Allan

As so Often Allan you nail it.

Michelle,
I think your concept has merit. Do it & let us know.
I say this with the understanding that you are spraying BD preps or using a Field Broadcaster, which we do.
We have after 3+ years of FB balancing easily break down of both sheep & bovine excrement on the field, all times of the year to some extent.

Now back to Allan's point -I have some consideration that a portion of pasture re-planted via grazing cattle and sheep and then Over Seeding (with an Over Seeder) the earlier conventaly (sp?) planted oats or rye to sorghum & mangles ( to be grazed through most of the winter) as nurse crops for a combination of chicory, clovers and assorted grasses? Wouldn't move us towards some measure of sustainability.
As they say stay tuned.

Thanks
With Love & Light
Markess
Dear Markess-
Thanks for your encouragement.  As things stand now, we are moving towards more cows on the place.  We want diversity and health.  We have paid an incredible tuition this year to learn about transitioning from row crops to management intensive grazing.  We also have the opportunity right now to "buy the factory right" so to speak with the price of good mama cows being way down due to folks caught in the extreme drought here.  Our hearts go out to them and we actually worked with some to graze corn this year, but the fact is that the opportunity is there for us.  Our concept is that we will graze all the "scraps" such as early planted oats that we like to hold the soil and keep weed pressure down, which on some pivots will be turned down and planted to corn or edible beans later in the spring.  We will plant rye or triticale after wheat in the stubble and graze it along with whatever volunteer wheat comes back.  We may put turnips in the corn at cultivation for either grazing the corn beginning at tassel or to have there along with the corn residue we graze if the corn is picked for grain.  And if we do establish more long term plantings we will definitely use a mix of grasses and legumes as that has worked well on the 4 pivots we have done this year.
    We have 4 of Hugh's towers on the farm, plus we put on many many gallons of compost tea this year and our experience was that the manure just disappeared.  We also had lots of dung beetles.  So, I think that the system is working.  I agree with Allan that alot of the nutrients are walked off when the cattle are sold, but do agree that much is brought in from the atmosphere.  We feel that this system may not be totally correct and sustainable as we bring in soil amendments and use some fertilizer.  But in comparison to what we used to do it's like we have quit waging war on our soils microlife.  And we continue to learn and to question all the things we were taught before and truly feel we are being led towards a much better way.  It will just take time for us to sort out how to do it and survive economically.  I would love to be able to prove that you can improve the soil each year and also raise good quality crops and livestock along with that and to be able to share those concepts with others who really want to do better things for their soil and the earth.
    Thanks again for your thoughts.  We wish you well with your experiments as well.

Best Regards,
Michelle Wendell