Hi David
               Point I was trying to make was if we put excess material into
the system too close to the next crop - and then have to use more
cultivation (disking twice?) to encourage breakdown we are going round in
circles - the cycle must be back in balance by time we seed the following
crop or we will take a big dive from nitrogen tie up. Grazing to reduce bulk
is the best answer to that situation.
               There is certainly a lot to learn about this - every farmer
will have a different way - and the scientists will be very little help -
after all, active soil biology is outside their paradigm - (most of them)

> Lloyd: I wonder what others have experienced with this? Before the drought
> had strips in our front paddock where I experimented with this, on our
soil
> it is a case of turn in all the bulk possible to get good results, feeding
> off sends things backwards. As for roots on their own supplying green
> manure, no way.
OK its not GREEN but its valuable material none the less and half the
vegetative bulk of most plants is below the ground - when we cultivate thats
the portion that we loose first
 > Perhaps it is because our soil is badly depleted. What is
> also interesting is that the locals were actually asking what I had done
> get the strip so good, instead of making up their own version of whatever
> weird thing I was doing.
If they are asking questions they must be impressed!
Cheers again
Lloyd Charles
ps half inch of rain yesterday in a storm - would of been worth squillions
six weeks ago!