On Tue, 2009-09-15 at 10:10 +0200, Gregory Machin wrote:
> Any numbers, but only 3 digits in the string.
>
> I'm filtering out local extention numbers from phone numbers
>
> Where in the log the extension is 104 and the phone number would be
> something like PSTN0/2-0115070545. All the stuff I have tried have
> returned  would return both the extension number and 3 digits from the
> phone number eg 011 .
>
> So I only want the records that beginning  and end in a number and
> have exactly 3 digits not longer.
>
> Thanks for you time.

Ah, so you do want to anchor at the beginning and end of the string.
Have you looked at perlrequick
(http://perldoc.perl.org/perlrequick.html) as Uri suggested?  That
should show you how to anchor a regex to the start and end of a string.
Post what you're trying after looking there.

Regards,
Tim Bowden

BTW, please try not to top post.  It breaks the flow of the thread.