Look at Net::Domain::TLD on CPAN

It has a fairly comprehensive list of country codes as well as top-level
domain names.

I noticed that it did not include entries that would validate '.co.uk' or
'.co.jp', which echoes your concern about how actively this module is
maintained.

I would imagine that somewhere is a web-published list of cc's and you
could code a script to check it daily for changes.