Soumyadip Modak wrote:

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 19:22 +0600, Jamil Ahmed wrote:

Need to check, if S/He is localizing only for Bengali-India or Bengali.

Eh ? I think the name "Baishampayan" indicates that the person in
question is a male, never heard of any lady having that name.

Actually, I never heard of anyone [both male, female] having that name! So I was confused. :)
Anyway, leave it.

Besides, unlike other projects (e.g. Mozilla) the Debian-Installer, to
my knowledge doesn't have separate translation files for locales
(Correct me if I'm wrong). There will be only one set of translations
for one language. However I believe Christian Perrier (bubulle) has
indicated that Bangladesh (bn_BD) locale would be the default for
Bengali.

Yes, I searched and got the message,
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-in-workers/2005-August/000096.html

The whole process done for including Bangla - can be found here,
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-in-workers/2005-August/thread.html

But, Baishampayan Ghose <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:b.ghose%40gmail.com>> announced his effort for Bengali (bn_IN). Not for Bengali (bn).
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2005/09/msg00002.html

I will mail him soon - so we can work together for a single set of translation which will satisfy both bn_BD and bn_IN. :-)

Any further discussion should be preferably done on the Debian Indic
project mailing list, because that is where the discussion is currently
going on
http://debian-in.alioth.debian.org

Okay, here is the summary of Bengali in Debian Installer [ie. D-I]:

Christian Perrier announced the list of supported language in D-I
http://lists.debian.org/debian-i18n/2005/09/msg00015.html

The real time list of supported languages in D-I is,
http://people.debian.org/~bubulle/d-i/i18n-doc/languages.xml

It shows,
Baishampayan Ghose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> is assigned for Bengali [bn]

But, Bengali is not listed in D-I translation status page - yet,
http://people.debian.org/~seppy/d-i/translation-status.html

And Christian Perrier's blog shows, Bengali team is facing the prob - that we have faced already.
http://www.perrier.eu.org/weblog/2005/09/02#d-i-languages-20050902

Finally, after reading the following message,
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-in-workers/2005-September/000137.html

I guess, currently Baishampayan Ghose is working on (core) D-I,
http://people.debian.org/~seppy/d-i/level1/master/template.pot

It contains around 1400 strings. IIRC, Progga translated Anaconda [contained similar number of strings] within a week. :-)

Thanks,
`Jamil