On 5/8/07, das <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 15:23 +0530, Runa B wrote:
> > I guess I had proposed this..mostly for the ra-japhala issue as
> > mentioned by sayam.
> >
> > [~] =>  ZWNJ
> > [ `] =>  ZWJ
> >
> > I'd still go with this. The ZWJ is currently on "shift+=" (or +) and
> > it'll be easier to write, if it doesn't need a shift key.
>
> Can you please put here a few instances of application of ZWNJ and ZWJ,
> before going into a final decision, or some link where it is given? I
> think, the exact significance of these two is not very clear to me.

My understanding is this: ZWNJ and ZWJ are artificial constructs in
Unicode to give hints about rendering of conjuncts (i.e., they don't
change the spelling etc of word they appear in). The intended
difference between them is a bit of a mystery to me. For indic
languages, they have the following paradigm:

 C1 + hasanta + ZWNJ + C2  prevents the conjunction of C1+C2
 C1 + hasanta + ZWJ + C2  renders C1+C2 as half-C1 C2

The second case is very relevant to Devanagari, but not at all
relevant (in my opinion, and other people have a different opinion on
this) to Bengali. An example of the first is

ঠন্‌ঠনে as opposed to ঠন্ঠনে

(Note that Sayamindu has recently fixed some pango bugs without which
you may not see things correctly. There are some screenshots at
http://bengalionline.net/rendering-bugs/rendering-bugs.html).

Even though the standard use of ZWJ is rare in Bengali, it has been
used in non-standard ways in the past to "fix" design bugs in Unicode.
Initially it was used to encode khanda ta, and now that that design
bug has been fixed, it's being used to encode ra-japhala (to
distinguish it from ja-reph). Sayamindu has a link on this earlier in
this thread.

Hope that helps.

-Deepayan